Project Type: Education and Recreation
Client + Location: Confidential
Start date: 2017
This project is exploring the possibility of creating a modular outdoor structure / playscape that can be added to and enclosed at a later date. The main aims for the project are:
1. To create a building with a strong civic quality that gives the building presence in the community, creates a sense of pride and encourages members of the community to come along and use it
2. To create that civic quality and attractiveness through a striking design that is clearly inspired by Maori cultural narratives and design elements
3. To create a modular structure that can be easily added to and enclosed in the future
4. To create a design that could be made in prefabricated modules and quickly assembled on site.
5. To create a design that is ‘scaleable’ so that it can be reduced or enlarged depending on the budget.
Core Project Team: Jo Aitken, Madumal Gunaratna + Sophie Crews